I took my 4 year old son and my wife (or did they take me?) to the movie UP! over the weekend. First off, I am loving the glorious 3D action that is making it’s way back into theaters. It is good to see the industry figuring out that if you don’t enhance the experience, it’s far easier/cheaper to just download the movie and/or wait for Blockbuster to release it. The 3D experience is one worth paying for, and seemingly only available in the theaters. [Note to self for future post: Why can’t you have 3D at home? And is it possible to have it in games?]
I didn’t start this post to talk about 3D though, but a small surprise about the movie – which led me to thoughts about gaming, kids, and all that jazz. Does the expectation of certain entertainment mediums skew our views on how it is perceived? More after the break.
*Warning – Spoilers follow for the movie UP! – Don’t read if you don’t want to know*
In the first 15 minutes of Disney’s UP! the following happens. Geek explorer boy meets Geek explorer girl. They have a shared dream. They grow up together and get married. Their dream (following their favorite explorer to South America) always takes a back seat to what is going on in their “real lives”. Wife gets pregnant. Baby is never born (dies(?) before birth). Life goes on. They get old. Man remembers their initial dream, buys tickets to South America. Plans on presenting them to his wife at their favorite picnic spot at the top of a hill one afternoon. Wife collapses while walking up the hill, goes into hospital, wife dies. Their dreams are never realized. He gets old and cranky, about to get removed from the home they built together, and decides to realize the adventure for him and his late wife. Cue balloons, and the typical whimsical adventure ensues..
While that is hardly shocking by any means, I did have to take a couple ‘abacks’. Unborn babies? Dead wife? My son kept asking during the film where the wife went. It’s hard to explain to a four year old that she died, and why she did, amidst a packed movie theatre with 3D images flying at you. It really caught me off guard. I was prepared to go see a fun, adventurous Pixar flick with flashy graphics and colors and an underlying strong social message for my kid. I got more than I bargained for, but I wasn’t disappointed or aghast – death is a good topic to discuss with your children. I was just “shocked” because it was so unexpected.
I am sure you will love to judge my parenting after my NEXT line – but my son has seen Batman (both newer versions), Transformers, Spiderman 1, 2, and 3, etc. Yes he is only 4. He loves super heros and giant talking transforming robots. When death and violence is presented in those movies he doesn’t question it – it is just the good guys stopping the bad guys from doing bad things. I always go into those movies a tad reserved that the violence may be over the top, but they are generally good at not showing a lot of blood or excessive violence – unless you count oil leaking from giant robots. That, however, begs me to think if I am just desensitized to the violence and can’t realize what impact it is having on my kid. Hey, I grew up in a time where I didn’t wear a helmet on my bike, would watch Friday the 13th movies when I was 7 (without parental permission, of course) and I turned out okay.
With some taking the extreme route I am starting to wonder if I need to be a bit more careful about the choices I make for my kid.
My son also has a Nintendo DS, and about 10% of his game collection is math and science fun, with the other 90% involve something hitting/shooting something else repetitively. He plays those games without a second thought from dear old dad. Again, it is expected, so it doesn’t surprise me. Now, if he was playing Transformers 17: Rise of the Sequel on DS, and halfway through the game a Megan Fox ran across the screen in a thong, I would probably be taken aback as well. Not because our society is so less desensitized to sex than violence, but it would just be.. unexpected.
Rambling, I noes. Sorry. I suppose my point is this: Is “shock” value in any entertainment derived from the preconceived un-expectations, or the “shocking” act itself?